Everyone wants to know how long it will take you to complete that very visible communications project and you really have no idea where to start; these 8 tips can help develop the consummate communications plan.
- Know exactly what you need to deliver
- Work back from when it's due
- Include all of the steps
- Establish reviews at important stages
- Plan on keeping everyone informed
- Do the math to create an initial plan
- Fine tune the plan as you go along
- Don't miss your dates
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips for Developing the Consumate Communications Plan with the details.
Whether you are presenting in a public setting or virtually where you can’t see the audience, being able to present well can make your career; these 8 tips will help you prepare prodigious presentations.
- Know your audience
- Create effective support material
- Know your stuff
- Write notes that will trigger your memory
- Proof your slide text
- Know your surroundings (and tools)
- Do a trial run
- Be prepared for just about anything
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips on Preparing Prodigious Presentations with the details.
Whether it's a technical project with an extensive set of deliverables or a marketing project aimed at your unique niche, a blank screen can be scarier than that envelope from the IRS; these 8 tips can help you tame that blank screen and put your best words forward.
- Think about who you want to talk to
- List important concepts
- Look for idea sparkers
- Take notes under each lead sentence
- Put it away
- Reorganize what you have
- Keep building on each section
- Know when you are done
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips for Blasting through Writer's Block with the details.
Writing can be an individual sport until you need feedback on what you've written and then it can be become the ultimate team event; these 8 tips can help you get great feedback on your latest draft.
- Know what you want from your reviewer
- Communicate your expectations
- Set the ground rules
- Know how your reviewer prefers to work
- Give people the back-story
- Remember your deadline
- Respect your reviewer's time
- Use their feedback or tell them why you aren't
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips on Getting Great Feedback on Your Latest Draft with the details.
The world is turning into one big market and more and more organizations are working in multiple languages; these 8 tips can help you end up with terrific translations.
- Determine your translation audience
- Create a complete list of everything you need translated
- Leave enough time in the schedule to get a quality translation
- Create a translators glossary of your company's words and concepts
- Know how your translator is going to work
- Prepare your texts in a translation-friendly way
- Respond to translator questions in a timely manner
- Run a quality check on the completed translation
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips on Preparing for Terrific Translations with the details.
With all of the email you've already read, written, deleted and forwarded you should already be an expert; here are 8 tips on writing better business emails that might actually get you there.
- Know who you are writing to
- Give your mail a great subject line
- Keep the mail on the message
- Re-read it before you hit send
- When you have the chance, write a great reply
- Be respectful of your reader's time
- Remember you are writing a business mail
- Make the mail accessible
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips on Writing Better Business Emails with the details.
Large or small organizations cannot afford to give people the wrong instructions; these 8 tips can help you write a great procedure.
- Know where the procedure fits in the entire process
- Know who you are writing it for
- Give it a great name
- Tell them what this is for
- Explain what they need before they start
- Make sure the procedure only covers one thing
- Make sure each step is one action
- Give them the result and any next steps
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips on Writing a Great Procedure with the details.
Whether you have thousands of employees and offices in 20 countries or three people in two time-zones, these 8 tips can help you run your virtual meetings more effectively.
- Know how to use the virtual tools
- Determine how you want to organize your meeting
- Give people as much notice as possible
- Know who is in your meeting
- Let the group determine the pace
- Just because you cannot see them, do not let participants hide
- Work on virtual encouragement
- Do not make virtual teams a chore
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips on Running Better Virtual Meetings with the details.
Whether you are a large organization that takes up an acre on the show floor or a small company with a table at the Chamber open house, these 8 tips can help you use your tradeshow more effectively.
- Know who you are talking to
- Define your message
- Set your objectives
- Plan your space and attraction
- Develop your post-show follow-up
- Let people know you are going to be there
- Choose the right people to work the show
- Measure your results
For more information, download the pdf 8 Tips on Using Tradeshows More Effectively with the details.
Communications, like challenges, come in all shapes and sizes. From tradeshows to PR to design to translation to presentations to meetings. Well, you get the idea, there are lots and lots of them. The goal of this blog is to provide 8 tips you can use today on virtually any communications challenge you might face, one challenge at a time.
If you have some of your own great tips, please jump in with comments and share them with the other readers.